You've definitely heard Danielle and I talk about facial steaming before! Treating your skin to a steam facial is the best thing you can do for your pores... In fact, when you go and get a professional facial it usually includes steaming (for obvious reasons...it's super effective). But don't worry you can totally create your own at-home spa using what you already have in your kitchen. If you haven't steamed your face before, get ready for the post-steam glow.
***The only people who should avoid facial steaming are those with rosacea as it can loosen the blood vessels and cause a flare up.
Without further ado lets get right into the benefits:
1. Moisturizes.Dehydration denies the face the much-needed moisture for cell regeneration. Steam is hydrating for your skin and great for increasing permeability. The moist heat revives tired skin and supports the absorption of moisture from your skin care products, increasing your skin's suppleness.
2.Firmer-looking skin. The heat from the steam increases blood flow to your face and neck which promotes the production of collagen and elastin.
3. Loosens blackheads. Do you ever find yourself struggling to get those awful blackheads out, which are not only painful but stressful to look at because you just know they’re going to turn into a huge big pimple! Well, steaming your face is your get out of jail free card; it loosens blackheads making them easier and less painful to release. Follow your steam with a detox mask to help lift the blackhead making it much easier to remove.
4.Clears the sinuses. Steam can help relieve sinus congestion and headaches that often accompany it. Adding certain essential oils to your steam can boost the effect. If you have a headache try adding in peppermint oil!
5.Induced relaxation. A little at home steaming can be a great way to relax. Add some soothing scents using herbs or essential oils for aromatherapy to take your steam sesh to a whole other level of calm! Wanna super-charge your ritual? Listen to a guided meditation on YouTube! Here's one of my favs.
6.˙Helps your skin better absorb skin care products. Steam increases skin’s permeability, enabling it to better absorb topicals. This means you get more bang for your buck from skin care products applied after steam.
7.Promotes circulation. The combination of warm steam and an increase in perspiration dilates your blood vessels and increases circulation. This boost of blood flow nourishes your skin and delivers oxygen. The result is a natural, healthy glow.
8. Quick pimple killer. You have an important date tomorrow and a huge big pimple on your face...what are you gonna do!!!!??? Face steaming is one of the best ways to get rid of a pimple quick. Steam your face for 5 minutes and then apply an ice cube on the pimple. The steam will bring out the pus and the ice will help soothe it and ensure it doesn’t look worse the next day. Sleep with a simple patch for max healing benefits.
9. Removes toxins. You’ve heard how one of the benefits of sweating is that it removes toxins from the skin right? It’s no different with steaming, you are heating the body and therefore toxins are released due to the heat. Steam actually makes your skin sweat far more than a hot yoga class and therefore a whole lot of toxins are released.
10. It’s affordable and accessible. You don’t need to dish out big bucks for a steam facial at a spa to enjoy the benefits; it can be done at home using items you already have. There are a few ways you can enjoy this versatile skin treatment at home. It can be simple and free or as luxe and costly as you — and your wallet — choose.
Here’s a step-by-step description of each technique:
To steam over a bowl or sink of hot water👇🏽
Grab a towel and choose your spot. Comfort is key, so if you’re doing this over a sink you’ll want to use a chair or stool that offers the right height. Otherwise, a bowl on a table is your best bet.
Secure your hair so that it’s off your face and cleanse the face using your BFF (optional). Don’t forget to cleanse your neck, too!
Bring 4 to 6 cups of water to a boil in a kettle or pot, depending on the size of the sink or bowl.
Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Carefully pour into the sink or bowl. If you’re using essential oils, this is the time to add a few drops to the water.
Have a seat, drape your towel over your head and the pot, and hold your face 6 inches above the water.
Raise or lower your head for more or less heat and lift a corner of the towel to cool off if needed (please be careful the water is HOT AF).
Steam your face for 5 to 10 minutes.
To steam with warm towels👇🏽
Get a hand towel and turn on the hot water tap. When hot, fill your sink or bowl with enough hot water to soak your towel. Add your herbs.
Secure your hair so that it’s off your face and cleanse your face and neck using a gentle exfoliating cleanser.
Soak your towel in the hot water and wring it out so that the towel is damp.
Lean back in a comfy chair or lie down. Place the towel on your face, holding each corner up so they meet in the center of your forehead.
Adjust the towel so that it covers your entire face, including the eyes, leaving just your nose peeking through. Relax for 5 minutes.
To steam with a home facial steamer👇🏽
Read your facial steamer’s instructions, filling it up as directed. Place it on a table near an outlet so you can plug it in. It will take a few minutes to begin emitting steam.
Secure your hair so that it’s off your face and wash your face using a gentle exfoliating cleanser.
Have a seat, get comfortable, and set your face inside the cone attachment, staying 5 to 10 inches away as it says to do in your steamer’s instruction booklet.
Steam for 2 or 3 minutes at a time with a 1-minute break in between to see how your skin is handling the steam.
***Facial steamers offer more powerful steam than the other methods.
What to do after steaming your face?
After face steaming you can exfoliate your face, mask or do an ice treatment. It is easier to remove the dead skin cells after steaming. Also, it's easier to remove the dirt and bacteria that were trapped in the pores following steam so its a great time for a detox mask.
If you want more behind the scenes videos of our lives and how we live, and you want to be a part of a community of women doing amazing things, then also join me on Instagram @holisticbeauties.
Shop with us today and see the Holistic Beauties difference!
The 100% No-Risk Promise
Order right now with confidence!
Try our Products out for 60 days and if it doesn’t work for you, you’ll get your money back! There’s absolutely no-risk in giving it a try. No questions asked, you can get your money back!
What people are saying about us...
Perfect for on the go
Spacious bag, perfect for finding make up quickly on the go.
Perfect for everyday use
I love that you can put only essentials in the bag and keep it in your purse or you can use it as a travel bag and just adjust the size.
These are THE products I've been waiting for all my life. After two months of using the BFF instead of my Clarisonic, my skin is so clear and I frequently need less makeup on my face! SO SO HAPPY!
This is probably my best purchase on holistic beauties to date. i am so in love with this product i can't imagine my life without it. Being a germaphobe I love the fact that bacteria can’t grow and i'm already seeing amazing results in 1 week!
Hello From Danielle & Lisa
Get to know our founders!
Why Buy From Us
Find out what makes us different and why we do what we do!