Whether you fly frequently or not, airplane air can wreak havoc on your skin goals. Most people realize that flying can cause the skin to dry out and breakout, but they may not know why. Whenever the environment is moisture-free (as with recirculated air in a plane cabin), the air actually draws moisture from wherever it can, including the skin. Dry skin will tend to get drier and oily skin will get even oilier to compensate for dehydration. What you do (and don’t do) on the flight over makes all the difference in the world when it comes to your glow-meter.
Here are 10 things you can do to ensure your skin is protected during travel, as well as keep it radiant and glowing upon your arrival.
1. Always Fly Bare-Faced. Looking all "done up" on an airplane is not always an option if you want to arrive with a hydrated glow. If you have no choice the best option would be to carry a hydrating mist like the Caudalie grape water spray and re-apply every hour. Your main goal on a plane is to keep the skin hydrated, and when wearing a full face you can't do what you gotta do (apply skincare products).
2.Save New Products for At-Home Testing. The last thing you want to do is bring samples to try out during your travels. Everyone's skin reacts differently and the last thing you want is a bad reaction on the plane.
3. Lip Balm. I don't know about you but my lips are the first thing to dry out while in the air. Applying lip balm the night before flying, the morning of and in the air is crucial to arriving at your destination without flaky lips.
4. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. This one's obvious but I couldn't leave it out. Hydration is key for hydrated, glowing skin. Ask wellness pros how they stay healthy while traveling, and most of them will tell you it involves drinkinglotsof water in flight. Consuming extra H20 on board helps counteract the arid conditions on airplanes that can dehydrate you.
5. SPF. This one's huge if you have a window seat. "When you’re in a plane the UVB radiation, most associated with sunburn is blocked by the windows of the plane, but the UVA radiation is not. As you're much closer to the ozone layer the sun’s rays are much more harmful." Matt Gass, a spokesperson for the British Association of Dermatologists.
6.Eye Cream. If you're just starting out with skincare on a plane this is the best place to start! Applying eye cream is crucial for looking awake and rested when you arrive at your destination.
7. Sheet Mask. Not for the faint-hearted. A sheet mask is the easiest most effective way to achieve hydrated, glowing skin upon arrival. Although it might look silly, I promise you everyone else is jealous. When there are 1-2 hours left in the air apply your hydrating sheet mask (don't opt for pore cleansing as it will have more of a drying effect on the skin). For added results message in your sheet mask with the BFF.
8. Antioxidant Rich Moisturizer. I opt for an antioxidant-rich moisturizer while flying to combat all the free radicals in the air. Talk about dynamic-duo. Moisturizer is like a protecting layer on the skin while you're in the air. If you find your skin is getting dry, it might be time to re-apply.
9. Don't forget the hands. Before boarding, you hopefully washed your hands after visiting the restroom. Hand soap in public washrooms are usually riddled with ingredients that dry out the hands. Mix that with cabin air and we've got a situation. Always pack a mild-scented hand cream as some people are very sensitive to scents.
10. Say no to plane food. My favorite thing to do the night before a trip is to prep my plane food. Our diet plays a massive role in the health of our skin, and plane food is full of preservatives and sodium that can leave the skin looking puffy.
If you want more behind the scenes videos of our lives and how we live, and you want to be a part of a community of women doing amazing things, then also join me on Instagram @holisticbeauties.
Shop with us today and see the Holistic Beauties difference!
The 100% No-Risk Promise
Order right now with confidence!
Try our Products out for 60 days and if it doesn’t work for you, you’ll get your money back! There’s absolutely no-risk in giving it a try. No questions asked, you can get your money back!
What people are saying about us...
Perfect for on the go
Spacious bag, perfect for finding make up quickly on the go.
Perfect for everyday use
I love that you can put only essentials in the bag and keep it in your purse or you can use it as a travel bag and just adjust the size.
These are THE products I've been waiting for all my life. After two months of using the BFF instead of my Clarisonic, my skin is so clear and I frequently need less makeup on my face! SO SO HAPPY!
This is probably my best purchase on holistic beauties to date. i am so in love with this product i can't imagine my life without it. Being a germaphobe I love the fact that bacteria can’t grow and i'm already seeing amazing results in 1 week!
Hello From Danielle & Lisa
Get to know our founders!
Why Buy From Us
Find out what makes us different and why we do what we do!