The Holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, but leading up to big events and being in large social settings can get stressful and also trigger anxiety. Anxiety has been present for most of my life and becoming open about it, made me realize I'm not alone!
After lots of trial and error, I've found many natural ways to manage it.
So let's jump right in babes!
Here are 10 ways to deal with stress and anxiety this holiday season:
1.Get your body moving.It might be hard to fit in a workout this time of year but its super important to make it a priority. Even if it's taking a walk when you get home from work or speed walking through the mall. TIP: When your standing in lines or waiting around make it a point to squeeze in your stomach to tighten the muscles (one of my mom's secrets for keeping a tight midsection). Not only does exercise transform your body and confidence, but it also increases serotonin which we could all use a little more of!
2. Practice Mindfulness. Instead of getting caught up in everything you need to check off your list, take a few moments to focus on what you’re doing right now. What is mindfulness, exactly? According to dictionary.com, it’s “the state or quality of being mindful or aware of something.” In practice, it’s simply taking time to focus your attention on the present — the smells, sounds, sights, and feelings around you.
3.Take Adaptogen supplements.Adaptogens are unique plants or herbs that support your adrenal system. They help balance your hormones, so you can manage your stress response on a day to day basis. They adapt to what your body needs and have the ability to regulate your system up or down depending on the need at the moment.
There are 16 adaptogenic herbs, but some of my favorites include Holy Basil, Rhodiola, Maca, Moringa, Ashwagandha, Reishi and Chaga.
4. Aromatherapy. The health benefits of aromatherapy include its ability to relieve anxiety and depression, boost energy levels, speed up the healing process, cure headaches, boost cognition, induce sleep, strengthen the immune system, reduce pain, improve digestion, and increase circulation. To get the amazing anxiety and stress relieving benefits of Aromatherapy we love to use essential oil diffusers.
5.Herbal Teas. While it's true that stress isn't always bad, if you don’t work to control it, it can control you. Sipping a warm cup of herbal tea in the middle of the day or in the evening can be a relaxing ritual that has many health benefits.
Some favs: Chamomile, Peppermint, Nighty Night & Lemon Balm.
6. Deep Breaths. The holidays are a time of year when all emotions become magnified. Anxiety is no exception. A few ways to manage anxiety during times of stress are practicing deep breathing techniques and learning mindfulness. There are many breathing exercises to follow on youtube!
7. Don't be afraid to say no. It's important to evaluate our lives on a regular basis to figure out what is working, what is making us happy, what is wearing us out. What do you hate about the Holidays? How about you change it up and create new experiences. I am learning that most people don’t mind or don’t even notice when you cut back on activities, & that what you gain in return is often much greater than what you are giving up. Whatever your family practices during the season, if what was done in the past doesn’t work today, stop or change the practice. Just because something is traditional is no reason to keep doing it.
8.Delegate while you celebrate. You don’t have to do everything yourself—you can tackle your “to do” list with others. Spending time with friends and family while you share tasks, like preparing the holiday meal, shopping, cleaning and decorating, can be an enjoyable time of bonding. You don’t have to be the holiday hero.
9. Get plenty of sleep.Sleep is the great refresher. The body does its best repair work when asleep. A reduction in good sleep not only interrupts this important process but also stresses the body. Research has shown that less than six hours sleep per night causes the body’s cortisol levels to rise. Elevated cortisol stresses the body. Elevated stress can make you feel more anxious. So when our sleep is frequently cut short, our physical, psychological, and emotional health can be adversely affected.
10. Be present. Too often, we spend our time in the past (with regret, guilt, resentment, sadness) or the future (imagining the future in an apprehensive manner). When we do this, we convert the treasures in the present moments to the despair of the past events that are often long over or to the angst of future events that may never occur. Our life experience is derived from how we think about things. As we allow our thoughts to ramble, so plays out our life experience and quality of life. Learning to be more present is a great way to enjoy every joyous moment of the Holiday season. As we savor each joyous moment, we improve the overall quality of our life experience.
I hope these tips resonate with you and they can bring you some peace this Holiday Season! We have some amazing sales and gift sets coming out soon so stay tuned babes!
Please leave a comment and let me know if these tips helped you in any way or if there was something I missed. As always I appreciate your feedback.
Shop with us today and see the Holistic Beauties difference!
The 100% No-Risk Promise
Order right now with confidence!
Try our Products out for 60 days and if it doesn’t work for you, you’ll get your money back! There’s absolutely no-risk in giving it a try. No questions asked, you can get your money back!
What people are saying about us...
Perfect for on the go
Spacious bag, perfect for finding make up quickly on the go.
Perfect for everyday use
I love that you can put only essentials in the bag and keep it in your purse or you can use it as a travel bag and just adjust the size.
These are THE products I've been waiting for all my life. After two months of using the BFF instead of my Clarisonic, my skin is so clear and I frequently need less makeup on my face! SO SO HAPPY!
This is probably my best purchase on holistic beauties to date. i am so in love with this product i can't imagine my life without it. Being a germaphobe I love the fact that bacteria can’t grow and i'm already seeing amazing results in 1 week!