Let's get real, we've all been there at some point in our lives. The vibes are good, the sun is shining and we forget to re-apply our sunscreen.
Seeing as the skin is our largest organ it's important we protect it and treat it with love.
So let's dive into what a sunburn is, how to protect your skin and what products to use when you've had too much sun.
What is a sunburn?
A sunburn is your skin's response to extreme UV damage. Any tan or color on your skin is also a response to UV exposure.
What causes sunburn?
Any tan or redness is a clear sign that UV radiation (from the natural sun or artificial sun from a tanning bed) has damaged the genetic material (DNA) in your skin cells. You don't have to have a severe sunburn to cause UV damage to the skin. Any damage can lead to skin cancer, which is the most common type of cancer in the United States.
How to protect your skin?
The number one way to protect your skin from sunburn is to wear a broad spectrum sunscreen every single day. Try Coola Suncare to avoid getting a sunburn at all costs for the sake of your skin. If you are spending time outdoors, you should re-apply your sunscreen every two hours.
Here are 5 Ways To Treat A Sunburn:
1. Cool it down. If you’re near a cold pool, lake or ocean, take a quick dip to cool your skin, but only for a few seconds so you don’t prolong your exposure. Then cover up and get out of the sun immediately. Continue to cool the burn with cold compresses. You can use ice to make ice water for a cold compress, but don’t apply ice directly to the sunburn. Or take a cool shower or bath, but not for too long, which can be drying, and avoid harsh soap, which might irritate the skin even more.
2. Aloe Vera Gel. If your skin burns easily I highly recommend investing in your own aloe vera plant. Aloe vera is a powerful plant-based medicine that's been used to heal cuts, burns, and sunburns for ages. Dr. Fishman warns against using a store-bought gel that has chemicals or synthetic fragrance added because they can actually make the burn worse. Try to find a gel that is made of 100 percent pure aloe fillet. Herbivore Botanicals' after-sun soothing aloe mist is a great option for mild burns.
3. Decrease Inflammation. Holistic dermatologist Cybele Fishman, M.D., said she advises her patients to take an oral anti-inflammatory at the first signs of a bad burn. Try ibuprofen, or if you want something more natural, Zyflamend by New Chapter, she said.
4. Moisturize. While skin is damp, use a gentle moisturizing lotion (we opt for basd body lotion). Repeat to keep burned or peeling skin moist over the next few days. Be sure to wear loose, soft, breathable clothing to avoid further skin irritation, and stay out of the sun.
5. Replenish your fluids. Burns draw fluid to the skin’s surface and away from the rest of the body, so you may become dehydrated, explains Dr. Brackeen. It’s important to rehydrate by drinking extra liquids, including water and sports drinks that help to replenish electrolytes, immediately and while your skin heals. Coconut water is a great, organic, fair trade, replenishing option.
If you want more behind the scenes videos of our lives and how we live, and you want to be a part of a community of women doing amazing things, then also join me on Instagram @holisticbeauties.
Shop with us today and see the Holistic Beauties difference!
The 100% No-Risk Promise
Order right now with confidence!
Try our Products out for 60 days and if it doesn’t work for you, you’ll get your money back! There’s absolutely no-risk in giving it a try. No questions asked, you can get your money back!
What people are saying about us...
Perfect for on the go
Spacious bag, perfect for finding make up quickly on the go.
Perfect for everyday use
I love that you can put only essentials in the bag and keep it in your purse or you can use it as a travel bag and just adjust the size.
These are THE products I've been waiting for all my life. After two months of using the BFF instead of my Clarisonic, my skin is so clear and I frequently need less makeup on my face! SO SO HAPPY!
This is probably my best purchase on holistic beauties to date. i am so in love with this product i can't imagine my life without it. Being a germaphobe I love the fact that bacteria can’t grow and i'm already seeing amazing results in 1 week!
Hello From Danielle & Lisa
Get to know our founders!
Why Buy From Us
Find out what makes us different and why we do what we do!